The UK Picture Editors Guild is an association for Picture Editors working on regional and national newspapers and for national and international picture agencies.
From the very beginning, the UK Picture Editors Guild has been involved in judging photojournalism. Early days the Guild provided the judges for the Encyclopaedia Britannica Photography Awards and later, in the eighties, for the British Telecom Press Photographer of the Year Awards.
Our modern-day competition is the culmination of years of experience. Thousands of pictures are judged by an independent panel of judges from the Guilds membership . Each of those on our judging panel work in the industry and know the value of the images they judge. We have categories for student photographers, for photographers under twenty five and for many other categories including News, Sports, Business, Royal, Regional, Arts and Entertainment,Essay and Portrait.
The UK Picture Editors Guild was formed in 1977. It would be hard for today's Picture Editors to grasp the difficulty of obtaining pictures from around Britain, let alone from around the World without the technology available to those working in the industry today .
Picture Editors worked without the internet internet or jpegs, transferring images in fractions of a second was just a dream. If a story of national importance broke in the regions and a newspaper with its headquarters in London wanted to use a picture,it was to the Picture Editor you turned who would send a messenger with a print to the station and send it via to London. When the train arrived several hours later the print would then be picked up by another messenger and rushed back to the office, and fingers crossed would be in time for the the newspapers deadline.
It was against this background that the UK Picture Editors Guild was formed . It came from a dependency and the help of another Picture Editor on another paper helping you out knowing full well that he or she would probably need your help some time soon.
The Guild, it was decided would meet twice a year to see what the person on the other end of the 'phone looked like and to get to know who was helping you out.
Nowadays, the Guild has social media to allow Picture Editors and photographers to keep in touch.
The integrity of the awards is precious to the organisers and to those that enter. The Guild has a passion for photography and the founding fathers of our organisation insisted the Guild was there to maintain the highest standards of press photography and we hope to this day that we continue to do so.
In the current climate of AI and an ability to change and alter pictures with the aid of software freely available on phones or in compauter software it is reassuring to know tha the images that are entered into these awards are presented as a true difinition of the event as it happened without any alterations being made to the images. (excepte those available to wet line process)
We have had as our guests, Tony Blair , (three times while PM),Labours Northern Ireland secretary Mo Mowlam ,Mayor of London ,Boris Johnson, Sadiq Khan, George Osbourne ,Nigel Farage , owner of Getty Images Mark Getty ,Labour MP Jess Phillips and most recently Labour Peer Lord Bassam of Brighton.
We have paid tribute by way of our Lifetime Achievement awards to photographers such as Horst Fass, a double Pulitzer Prize winner and one of the AP's star photographers and a picture editor during the Vietnam War, to American photojournalist, 90 year old Marilyn Stafford, a pioneer for female press photographers and Phil Coburn, photographer for the Sunday Mirror who lost his legs to a landmine while working in Afghanistan as well as Picture Editors from newspapers such as the Evening Standard , The Times and the Daily Mail for their lifetime achievements.
BENEFITS SPONSORSHIP WILL BRING
The benefits of Main Sponsorship are outlined below:
• Headline Sponsor name included in the awards headline . So it would be the UK Picture Editors Guild Awards in association with SPONSORS NAME HERE.
• (2 x Tables of 10, , plus two additional tickets on the top table for executives) • • Prime position of sponsors name and logo on large audio-visual screen, including plasma screens around the main room, custom room gobo, evening programme, flyers, invitations, signage and on the lectern, directional signs and on all premarketing material. •
• Opportunity for Company Executive to present short speech to the audience on the night. •
• Potential for short film to be shown during the evening. •
• VIP Reception – Hosted by UK Picture Editors’ Guild, attended by Main Sponsor representatives, Key members of the UK Picture Editors’ Guild, Keynote Speaker, Host and Judging Panel. •
• Access to Green Room prior to event for chosen guests. •
• half page colour advertisement in the programme.
• Full acknowledgement in the programme and mentions on the evening by Host
▪ A category is 8.5k
▪ Branded sponsorship of the Awards or appropriate categories.
▪ A highly visible presence on our website,
▪ Use of winning images in promotional material.
▪ Networking opportunities with newspaper picture editors from the national press and other media, and direct introduction and contact with the keynote speaker at the Awards.
▪ Significant branding at the Awards’ ceremony and during the judging event.
▪ 12-Months free Advertising on the UK Picture Editors Guild website, with hyperlink to sponsor’s website. Pre/post advertising coverage.
▪ Inclusion in pre / post social media campaign promoting the awards. ▪ Increased brand awareness, not only in the UK but worldwide through Awards coverage
▪ Publicity surrounding both the winners and runners-up in national and regional press. Publications whose photographers feature in the Awards headline their successes, and fully acknowledge their sponsors. Additionally, Awards winners (and nominees) feature in external websites and publications and photography magazines with a similar credit to the sponsor.
▪ Even where you do not sponsor a category, you receive an indirect benefit as all publicity encourages readers to visit our website and view all category winners. Announcements and newsletters additionally credit each sponsor in supporting the Picture Editors Awards.
▪ The results of the competition are widely carried by national newspapers, regional newspapers and extensively seen on all online channels
▪ The use of all the images on your own web site to promote the awards and your category .
We work withtwo media partners , Photo Archive News, a leading UK website and magazine Professional Photo.
Branded gift opportunity on the night i.e. Goodie bags, Table Chocolates, Jotter Pads, Branded Pens / USB. (Gifts to be provided by Sponsor). •
Wine on the Table,each bottle tagged with the sponsors name and mentioned in the programme £5500
Arrival Bar, held in the Officers Mess of the Honourable Artillery Company £4000
The programme , a keepsake of the awards, double page advert pages 2 and 3 £3500
Floral decorations on the tables
£3000 Bottled water on the tables
£1000 Nightcap Bar
£3000 See here video of the awards night ; https://www.facebook.com/ukpiceditorsguild/videos/659384461478257 and here is a video of ten years of winners that was shown on the night https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?code=XZwxvekZfvNhFz4r2TzHQOsADgdoWmqx03V7 We are a community of
We love our customers, so feel free to visit during normal business hours.
Frinton-On-Sea, Essex, England, United Kingdom
09:00 – 17:00
09:00 – 17:00
09:00 – 17:00
09:00 – 17:00
09:00 – 17:00